The Elf on the Shelf phenomenon hasn’t dissipated over the years, and it’s actually gotten a lot worse. It is now the thing that parents use to get their kids to behave so that Santa can get them that gift they’ve asked for. I have seen photos upon photos of these little Elfs causing mischief in friends homes on Facebook, and they are all over the web. While at first, I thought it was cute I no longer do. The Elf on the Shelf craze has taken over, and I think it’s also taken over some parents as well. So while I don’t judge anyone for doing what they do, here are my 5 reasons why we won’t be doing Elf on the Shelf at our house.
1. Christmas is supposed to be about fun. It is no fun having to wake up in the middle of the night and try and re-create some sort of mischievous act that these little Elves are supposed to be doing. I am not that creative, and while Pinterest gives me lots of ideas, I think I’m just too lazy to do them. I can also tell you that I forgot to move her at least 50% of the time I had her. It’s also no fun telling a 3yr old that she can’t touch something because guess what? SHE’S GOING TO TOUCH IT!
2. I want a good night’s sleep! I would rather go to bed and forget about everything until I wake up in the morning. I don’t want to spend the night tossing and turning trying to think of what elaborate trick I’m going to come up with the very next day. I also don’t want to get out of bed once I finally fall asleep to put that trick into motion. Even when I get up, I would prefer not to have to clean up a mess that I made. Ain’t nobody got time for that!
3. Are you kidding me? While it’s all supposed to be in good sport, I would rather my daughter not be terrified thinking that because she did something wrong, that the creepy little Elf was going to snitch on her to Santa and she’d be on his naughty list. For someone who’s supposed to be watching and making sure that the kids are good, they sure come up with some naughty things to do themselves. Kinda contradictory isn’t it?
4. Am I the only one who thinks these Elf’s are creepy? I would walk around the house, and it just seems like her beady little eyes would follow me everywhere with that smile forever on her face. It’s like she’s taunting me to do something. So Santa sees you when you’re sleeping, and he knows when you’re awake. He also knows if you’ve been bad or good. So why does he need an Elf to report to him? And guess what you little creepy Elf, do you know what happens to snitches?
5. I would rather just keep it simple. You don’t do what you’re supposed to do, and your Christmas will be canceled. I don’t need an Elf to keep my kids in check, I can do that myself! JUST ASK MY KIDS!
So let’s discuss: Are you doing the Elf on the Shelf at your house?