Are You Aware Of These Hidden Fire Hazards In Your Home?

Are You Aware Of These Hidden Fire Hazards In Your Home?

 Protecting your home from fire is vital and most of us have a good idea of the main things to avoid. Don’t leave candles burning for too long, don’t leave the stove or the oven on when you’re out of the house, and empty the lint trap in your dryer. But these aren’t the only causes of fire and there are a lot of hidden dangers that people are unaware of, so they don’t take steps to protect themselves against them. These are some of the hidden fire hazards lurking in your home. 

FAULTY WIRING

If you live in an old property and you have never had the wiring checked, you need to call an electrician right away. Faulty wiring can be a serious fire hazard and outdated electrics are particularly dangerous because they are not designed to handle modern-day levels of electricity use. You should also be aware of the dangers of pests and how they can affect your wiring. Mice and rats will chew through wires, leaving them exposed and therefore, more dangerous. It’s important that you stay on top of any pest issues and use non-toxic rodent control methods to get them out of the house. If you notice any issues with the electrics or you are concerned about the age of the wiring, get it checked out right away because it could be a serious fire hazard. 

VINTAGE HOMEWARE

Vintage homeware is very fashionable right now and it can look great in your home. But that nice old lamp that you bought could be a potential fire hazard. Old electrical items are far more likely to have faulty wiring and they are not made to modern safety standards, so you need to be careful. You have a few options here; you could always have it as a decorative piece and leave it unplugged. Alternatively, you can pay to have it rewired by a professional so they can ensure that it is safe. 

SPACE HEATERS

Space heaters are ideal for large rooms that are tough to keep warm or just for people that really feel the cold. But you’ve got to be careful when using them because they put out a lot of heat and can easily cause a fire. If you put them right near curtains, bedding, or anything else flammable, you’re putting yourself in danger. So, use them sparingly and when you do, be careful about where you place them. 

KITCHEN CLUTTER

It’s no secret that there are fire hazards in the kitchen, but people don’t often consider the danger posed by kitchen clutter. If your kitchen worktops are covered in recipe books and towels, it’s much easier for something to catch alight. That’s why you should always prioritize storage when designing a new kitchen, so you can keep the worktops clutter-free and reduce the risk of fire. 

There are countless fire hazards around the home and you can never be completely safe, but if you tackle these hidden problems, you will drastically reduce the chances of a fire. 

error: I have disabled right-click on this page. Sorry!