Discover serenity at home with our guide! Follow these 7 recommended steps to transform your living space into a haven of calmness.
No matter who you are, your home should be your sanctuary. You should be able to get back after a long day and not need to worry about cleaning, tidying, or restoring order. However, this is often not the case, and your home can feel just as stressful as everywhere else. If you want to create a calmer home, here are seven steps to make it a reality.
1. Keep It Clean
A clean space offers plenty of benefits. It makes your home healthier and ensures a calmer, more enjoyable environment. After all, no one wants to wade through piles of dirty dishes and cutlery when they’re trying to make their lunch, so encouraging everyone to clean up after themselves is the first step. The same goes for other parts of the house. Regular cleaning schedules and sharing responsibilities (if everyone is old enough) can make a significant difference in how your home feels.
2. Tidy Up
Tidying up and reducing clutter provide similar benefits, although this is not always so simple. You know that kids and pets leave their toys all over the place, which can make even the tidiest home feel like chaos. Teaching your kids to tidy up their toys and games when they are finished is a great way to reduce stress around the house. You can also replace blankets and other accessories before you go to bed so you don’t wake up in a cluttered space.
3. Cut Down On Electronics
Many people spend all their free time on their devices, whether they watch TV, view streams, or play games. Establishing screen-free time can keep your family productive and reduce stress, as they won’t be exposed to the often toxic environment online. This approach gives everyone the chance to reconnect with hobbies and find more productive uses of their time after school or work, which can help them explore new activities and be more active.
4. Create A Space to Unwind
Screen-free time might inspire you to start new projects. If there is a part of your house that you’re unsure how to use, why not make it a space where you can unwind? You can create a workshop or check out this reading nook inspiration to help you generate ideas to design a space that is perfect for those lazy days when you don’t want to go out or do anything other than spend some quality time with your most beloved characters.
5. Make The Most Of Aromas
Did you know that some fragrances and aromas encourage calmness? If you want to add the finishing touches to your home and ensure it is the most zen place in the neighborhood, researching fragrance oils can help you put together a collection of beneficial scents perfect for unwinding after another stressful day.
When using fragrance oils for relaxation, it’s essential to choose scents that personally resonate with you and create a soothing environment. Experiment with different combinations to find the perfect blend that helps you unwind and de-stress.
- Lavender: Known for its calming properties, lavender fragrance oil promotes relaxation and helps alleviate stress. Its soothing scent is widely used to create a peaceful atmosphere.
- Chamomile: The gentle, floral aroma of chamomile fragrance oil is perfect for inducing a sense of calmness. It is often used to create a tranquil environment conducive to relaxation.
- Vanilla: Vanilla fragrance oil has a warm and comforting scent that can help reduce anxiety and stress. Its sweet aroma is widely appreciated for creating a cozy and inviting atmosphere.
- Sandalwood: Sandalwood fragrance oil is prized for its earthy and woody notes, promoting a sense of grounding and relaxation. It’s often used in aromatherapy for its calming effects.
- Eucalyptus: Eucalyptus fragrance oil is known for its refreshing and invigorating scent. It can help clear the mind and improve focus while contributing to a calming ambiance.
- Ylang Ylang: With its sweet and floral notes, ylang-ylang fragrance oil is often used to reduce stress and promote relaxation. It has a soothing effect on both the mind and body.
- Jasmine: Jasmine fragrance oil has a sweet and alluring aroma that is known to reduce anxiety and uplift the mood. It’s often used for creating a peaceful and stress-free environment.
- Peppermint: Peppermint fragrance oil is invigorating and refreshing, making it ideal for promoting mental clarity and relaxation. It can also help alleviate tension and headaches.
- Citrus Blend: A blend of citrus oils such as orange, lemon, and grapefruit can create a lively yet calming fragrance. Citrus scents are known for their mood-boosting properties.
- Patchouli: Patchouli fragrance oil has a rich, earthy scent that is often used for its grounding and balancing effects. It can contribute to a calm and centered atmosphere.
6. Introduce Indoor Plants
Bring a touch of nature into your home by incorporating indoor plants. Plants not only enhance the aesthetic appeal of your space but also purify the air, contributing to a healthier and more serene atmosphere. Choose low-maintenance plants like snake plants or peace lilies to add a natural element without creating additional stress. If you’re not used to taking care of plants, consider these household plants that are perfect for beginners.
7. Establish Quiet Zones
It’s almost impossible to have an electronic free home, but you can cut back on their use as mentioned previously. Consider designating specific areas within your home as quiet zones where electronic devices and distractions are minimized. Create a space for reading, meditation, or simply unwinding without the constant hum of technology. These zones serve as retreats within your home, fostering a sense of tranquility.
Calm homes are happy homes. You don’t need to establish a strict, regimented schedule that makes it look like no one lives there, but you can still remember these tips to help you—and everyone else—feel more at peace within your four walls. A house should be a home, and this advice can make that possible.
Transforming your home into a haven of calmness involves intentional and thoughtful steps. By decluttering, embracing natural elements, and curating a soothing environment, you can create a space that promotes relaxation and mental well-being. Implement these seven steps, and watch as your home becomes a sanctuary for serenity in the midst of life’s demands.