Spring is the time for starting fresh and new. The weather is warming up, the birds are singing, and you can see plants starting to sprout in your garden. You are well on your way to spring happiness. Although you may be feeling happy and refreshed, your home could probably use a little bit of TLC as well. Performing some home maintenance in the spring is the best way to give your humble abode some much-needed love.
This post is written in collaboration with Allstate as an Allstate Ambassador, however, all opinions are mine alone.
1. Inspect the foundation – Cracks in your foundation are a bit concerning. If you notice damage to the foundation of your home, it is in your best interests to contact the professionals. Doing your own repairs isn’t advisable as foundation specialists have more in-depth ways of making the necessary repairs.
2. Check outside walls – Take a little jaunt around your home and closely examine all the exterior walls. Look for things like cracks and loose siding. If there are water stains present, this may be a key sign that your gutters are not working effectively and may need to be cleaned or repaired.
3. Inspect windows – The days are getting longer and that means far more natural light coming through your windows during the day. Not only is this a great time to ensure that your windows are properly cleaned both inside and out, but it’s a great time to look for any leakage. You want to make sure that your windows are performing properly and keeping the cool air indoors where you need it. If you discover that your windows are in fact allowing air to escape, it’s a good time to consider replacing windows or fixing the weather seal.
4. Prepare your lawn – It’s all about landscaping and curb appeal, and now is the time of year to start preparing your lawn. Rake to remove any unwanted debris. This will help to ensure that the grass underneath isn’t being suffocated. Check your outdoor water resources to make sure that they are functioning properly and start planning your garden areas.
5. Check the Air Conditioning Unit – Central air is a blessing, but don’t forget that much like your furnace, the unit also requires seasonal maintenance. Check hose connections, change the filter, inspect the drain to ensure that it’s ready to efficiently tackle that summer heat.
6. Prepare your deck/patio – It’s almost time for backyard get-togethers so now is the prime opportunity to ensure your deck or patio is ready. Clean all outdoor furniture, sweep off the surface and add any finishing touches you may want.
7. Prepare your BBQ – Now is as good a time as any to make sure that your barbecue is in tip-top shape. Read the manufacturer’s instructions and clean it up accordingly. Don’t forget to make sure that the propane tank is filled and ready to take on that first party of the year.
8. Declutter – Go through your home and throw out, donate or sell anything that you no longer use. Starting fresh can also mean being more organized. Be deliberate with your choices, if you haven’t used it in a while, you don’t have a need for it.
There are so many different ways to prepare your home for spring. Give your home the TLC it deserves by performing spring home maintenance.
This post was written as part of the Allstate Influencer Program and sponsored by Allstate. All opinions are mine. As the nation’s largest publicly held personal lines insurer, Allstate is dedicated not only to protecting what matters most–but to guiding people to live the Good Life, every day.