If you’re planning a trip to Disney, you may be wondering if you need MagicBands. If you’ve already been before, then you could already be familiar with them. They’ve also changed a bit over the years, so if it’s been a while since you’ve gone, then you may be due for a refresher. Whatever the situation, we’re going to tell you all you need to know about Disney MagicBands.
Disney first introduced MagicBands in 2013. These small plastic wristbands pack a lot of power because there is so much you can do with them. You can make your trip a lot more convenient if you decide to invest in MagicBands.
Let’s look at what you need to know:
- MagicBands allow you to unlock high-tech features that are a new part of the Disney experience. They are waterproof and made of flexible plastic and embedded with an RFID chip that holds all the data. MagicBand 2 released in 2017 has some modifications and allows new ways to wear it.
- The band will double as your park ticket, your room key, FastPass+ reservations and even a credit card to allow you to pay. Imagine being able to enjoy the park without carrying all of those things around with you. The whole point of the MagicBand is to make all parts of your Disney vacation as seamless as possible.
- Walt Disney World in Orlando Florida is currently the only Disney destination with MagicBands (as of summer 2018). Based on their popularity, we may see this grow to other Disney parks soon. The Magic Bands work all over the Walt Disney World Resort, so this includes the four theme parks on site, and the hotels and shops. You’re also able to use it at Disney Springs at the Disney Store if you have a card attached to it.
- Your next question might be about costs. If you’re staying in a Disney World hotel, or if you have an annual pass, they don’t cost anything. If you book your Disney vacation and stay at a Disney World resort hotel, they will include the MagicBands with your booking, and they will be mailed to you before your trip if you request them at least 11 days before your trip. If not, they will be waiting for you when you arrive. If you don’t meet these qualifications, you can still get MagicBands, starting at $14.99 each. The price goes up based on the style you choose. You can browse them at the DisneyStore.
- What if you lose your MagicBand? You’re able to deactivate it using your Disney Experience App or contact guest relations to have them deactivate it for you. This way your information is protected at all times.
- They also work with FastPass+ at all the theme parks. This feature allows you to pre-select up to three attractions per day and skip the line. You can sync your FastPass+ with your MagicBands and when your reservation time arrives, scan your MagicBand at the entrance to get through.
- They also integrate with PhotoPass and Memory Maker. The scannable bands make it even easier to get your photos scanned to it and can save time during attractions and popular photo-ops.
- You can also personalize your MagicBand. Since you’ll be wearing this for the duration of your Disney vacation, a lot of people like to customize their MagicBands, so that they could be easily recognizable and unique to them. Disney has several different ways you can do this. You can choose from eight different color options, and there are some special-edition designs like Star Wars, the Incredibles, and other Disney themes. You can also purchase accessories and jewels that connect to the bands. You can even customize them at select stores in parks if you find one that you like.
- Finally, you can use them again and again on each trip you make to Disney World. So if you find a band that you love, you can use it again and again when you return for another visit.
Now you know all the basics of Disney MagicBands and how they work. If you want to use them for your next trip, we recommend planning and having them mailed to you. It can even be a fun way to surprise the kids by telling them you’re going – you can wrap up the bands and give them your announcement. Enjoy!