It’s our big day and we’re traveling on the road. It’s going to be a very long trip I can tell you. We are on our way to Canada! Can you believe that mommy thinks that a road trip with 4 kids (including me the toddler) would be fun? I’m telling you that mommy has surely lost it! She’s gone cuckoo and not for cocoa puffs either. It’s a 21 hour journey according to Google Maps and sure there will be fun stuff along the way but there will also be a lot whining too. Mostly from my brothers. I’m a big girl, I don’t whine. Now mommy and I have decided to put together a checklist for other mommies and daddies who may lose it one day and decide to do what mommy is doing.
Now although mommy and I have a checklist for you, we also have a few tips as well. Since mommy and I will be traveling across the border, make sure that you have passports that are up to date and not expired. Passports should have a minimum of 6 months validity or you may be turned back at the border. Now that would be too bad and you don’t want that to happen.
You may have a suitcase filled with clothes in your trunk but be sure to also have a diaper bag packed with extra clothing for not just your toddler but also pack something in there for yourself as well. Now on to our packing list.
- Diapers: Make sure that you have enough diapers to last a few days. Anything can happen on your trip. We don’t want anything to happen but you need to always be prepared. A 5 hour trip can suddenly turn into 10 hours because of accidents on the highway etc. Don’t be that mommy with no diapers.
- Wipes: If you’re going to have diapers you are most definitely going to need wipes as well. The popular brands has wipes in travel packs that don’t require you to take around a big bulky tub. Have one available in your diaper bag. 1 pack can last up to a week or more.
- Food and Snacks: Sometimes you may be in the middle of nowhere with no restaurant in sight. Having a hungry toddler is not ideal. Make sure you walk with enough food/snacks that will last until you get to your first rest stop. Once there remember to stock up on extras.
- Water: Keep water on hand not just for your little one but for you as well. It’s winter but you can get dehydrated in the winter as well. A lot of people think because it’s cold that they are ok. You need to drink at least 8 glasses of water everyday whether it’s summer or winter.
- Toys: You are going to need something to occupy your toddler while traveling by car. Take along a few of their favorite toys. Alternate between toys so that they aren’t bored. Books are also a great way to help pass the time as well. If you have bigger kids traveling with you, like mommy and I do, a few electronic toys including tablets is great for them too.
- Hand Sanitizer: Sometimes water isn’t always available to keep little hands clean so having a hand sanitizer is a great alternative.
- First Aid Kit: Always have one on hand. Mommy keeps one in both cars in the event of an accident. Not necessarily a car accident but accidents do happen with little ones, frequently.
- Camera: Now this is for both mommy and toddler. You want to capture all the moments so don’t forget to walk with your camera.
Now have you ever taken a road trip before and what was on your packing list?