With more than 14 destinations worldwide and nearly 300 different cruise vacations to choose from, Norwegian Cruise Line offers no shortage of creative getaways. With so many deals and promotions, you’re sure to find one to fit your budget. Here’s 7 things to know before going on a Norwegian Cruise.
1. To tip or not to tip? First thing’s first, be aware that there’s a service charge of at least $13.50 per person per day. The company says that this charge supports a combination of salary and incentive programs for the crew members, who are encouraged to work as a team. The staff members are permitted to accept tips, but you are not required to do so. Bartenders receive an 18 percent gratuity from all beverage service charges. I’d suggest bringing cash and tipping those individuals who go above and beyond.
2. Customize your bed: Make a special request for an egg crate mattress pad before your cruise sail date or ask a crew member for one once you’re on board. Sweet dreams!
3. Learn something new: Take a class on anything from fitness to shopping to beauty all while sailing! Check your Freestyle Daily to see what’s being offered while you’re cruising.
4. Get deals on alcohol: Instead of buying individual glasses of wine, which can get pricey, buy a full bottle and have the server re-cork it for you if your party doesn’t finish it. Your name and cabin number will be noted and your bottle will be stored for the next time your party wants to break it open! In addition to deals on wine, Norwegian offers The Ultimate Beverage Package, which you can buy ahead of time at a discounted price. It includes cocktails, wines by the glass, and bottled or draft beer up to $15 USD, as well as unlimited fountain soda and juices at all bars, lounges, restaurants and the Great Stirrup Cay. Get a 20 percent discount on all bottles of wine purchased on board, too!
5. Hung out to dry: Get your clothes washed during your cruise and returned the next day! Prices vary depending on the garment, but this service could help you pack lighter to leave more room in your suitcase for souvenirs.
6. Celebrate in the comfort of your room: Request an in-room surprise gift to celebrate a birthday, anniversary, or …anything, really! The cruise line can provide flowers, desserts, wine, spa gift certificates, and even casino packages. In-room gifts like flowers etc., has to be booked pre-cruise. You can even renew your vows on your private balcony! Your room can also be decorated for the day. Call ahead to make arrangements.
7. A break from the kids: While cruises are great family vacations, there are plenty of cruise activities that were made just for the kids. Splash Academy is a complimentary day care service, divided into appropriate age groups, that entertains little ones with activities ranging from environmental awareness lessons to scavenger hunts around the ship. You can actually say that it’s more than a day care service. Ship cell phones can be given to the parents to check in with their kids upon request. Teens can participate in the Entourage program, which hosts themed events, sporting activities, and parties in the “teens only” lounge. With a service like this your kids may not want to leave.
Let’s discuss: Are you looking forward to taking a Norwegian Cruise?