We love tacos and we usually have a taco night at least twice a month. While we love having tacos using the normal shells sometimes we like changing things up a bit. This recipe today shows just one variation of how you can make taco night extra special. If you also love stuffed peppers and tacos you might also love this mini taco stuffed peppers with cilantro lime cream sauce.
Yields: approximately 32 servings
Time: 45 minutes
Here’s what you’ll need:
1 lb ground beef
1 package taco seasoning mix
¾ cup water
1-1/2 lbs mini bell peppers
1 cup shredded cheese
Cilantro Lime Cream Sauce
½ cup sour cream
½ cup fresh cilantro
½ teaspoon minced garlic
2 tablespoons lime juice
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
2. Slice 1/3 of each pepper off lengthwise, reserving for later use. Remove seeds. Try to slice off the curvier side of the pepper, so the flatter side remains – making it easier to stay put while stuffing.
3. Dice the reserved peppers and set aside ¾ cup.
4. In a large skillet, cook beef and reserved ¾ cup diced peppers in medium high heat until beef is brown; drain. Stir in taco seasoning mix and water. Cook over medium-high heat for 5-10 minutes, stirring occasionally. Let mixture slightly cool.
5. Fill each pepper as full as possible with the beef mixture and place on a baking sheet. Bake peppers for 13-15 minutes.
6. While the peppers are baking, make the Cilantro Lime Cream Sauce. In a food processor, pulse the sour cream, cilantro garlic, and lime juice until smooth. Chill in the refrigerator until ready to serve.
7. Remove peppers from oven and sprinkle with shredded cheese. Return to the oven for 1-2 minutes or until cheese is melted.
8. Place the Cilantro Lime Cream Sauce in a small plastic bag. Snip the corner off with scissors and drizzle the peppers with the sauce.
Notes: The peppers can be assembled in advance and placed in the oven when ready to bake. If time permits, make the Cilantro Lime Cream Sauce a day ahead of time to give the flavors more time to blend.