I’m all about easy and this devilishly black lemonade is not only easy but kid-tested and kid-approved. Madison and I decided to do something simple for Halloween and as it’s still officially summer, we decided to recreate a classic lemonade drink but with a Halloween twist.
Halloween is right around the corner, which means it’s time to start decorating, sending party invitations, picking a costume, and of course, planning a fun Halloween menu full of ghoulish treats and spooky drinks for the whole family!
Channel your inner witch and cast a spell on your friends and family with this bewitching black lemonade drink. Since it’s alcohol-free, it’s the perfect Halloween mocktail for kids and anyone who doesn’t want to drink alcohol.
Made with freshly squeezed lemon juice and black food coloring, this enchanting concoction is the perfect drink when you want something refreshing but also a little bit spooky!
Best of all? It comes together in a flash! Scroll down to get the full recipe of our devilishly black lemonade and thrill your guests this October 31st.
Pro Tips and Suggestions:
- The best way to make lemonade is to make a syrup first; otherwise, the sugar will just sink in your drink if you just stir together all the ingredients. Make sure to heat up the water and the sugar first. This prevents any clumps from forming at the bottom of your glass, which can be a real bummer. When the sugar is completely dissolved, you can mix it with the juice.
- Don’t be afraid to tweak the recipe however you prefer. If you prefer your lemonade to be a bit tangier, use less sugar or add more lemon juice.
- If you’d like to spike your drink, add a splash of Sprite and Vodka to make it extra BOO-zy.
- Salty pretzels and snacks, chocolate truffles, and a spread of different kinds of bread will pair incredibly well with lemonade.
Ready to make your first batch of black lemonade for Halloween? Here’s everything you’ll need:
- You can make your own lemonade or use ready-made lemonade to make it easier for you.
- A few drops of black food coloring.
- Maple syrup or sugar
- Ice cubes
- Drinking glass
Easy steps to make black lemonade:
- In a pan, mix sugar or maple syrup with the water. Heat it up until the sugar is mixed with the water to create a syrup and set aside.
- Add 4-5 drops of black food coloring to the mix and stir again until all the ingredients are well combined. Some food creators prefer using activated charcoal, but since it could interfere with medications or upset the kids’ stomachs, I’d rather play it safe by using black food coloring.
- Next, add the black syrup to a fresh batch of squeezed lemon juice mixed with water or your favorite brand of ready-made lemonade.
- Put some ice cubes in a glass and pour the black lemonade over it.
- Garnish your drinks by adding a few lemon slices, blueberries, or any Halloween party favor on top.
I hope you give this fun and simple recipe a try.