I remember when my husband and I first started dating. We did so many fun things together, and even though we didn’t have a lot of money, it was the thought that counted. Once we had kids, finding the time and a babysitter then became difficult, and so was finding the cash to do what you want when you have other commitments (such as home renovations).
However, that didn’t mean that date nights became a thing of the past. We made a pact to bring date nights back into our routine, at least once a month. After all, date nights aren’t just for anniversaries and special occasions. Having date nights are essential to a relationship, and they don’t have to be expensive, and they don’t necessarily have to be at night either. Believe it or not, there are many date night ideas for couples that won’t break the bank and some you can do in the comfort of your own home. Here are a few of them.
1. Go for a walk together.
2. Pack a picnic and enjoy yourself at a park.
3. Go bowling at your local bowling alley.
4. Cook a meal together.
5. Go to karaoke – perform together or just watch.
6. Go see an amateur sports game.
7. Have a bonfire in your backyard.
8. Visit a farmer’s market and have fun picking out fruits and veggies or even sampling the produce.
9. Go for a hike through nature and enjoy bird watching.
10. Take a class together.
11. Join a sports league together.
12. Go ice skating.
13. Play a board game.
14. Give each other massages.
15. Watch your wedding video together.
16. Go on a brewery tour.
17. Work on a puzzle together.
18. Have a movie marathon.
19. Go for a drive and take the scenic route.
20. Enjoy a night at a sip and paint event. Not only do you get to drink wine, but get you a memento of your time spent together (your painting).
21. Visit a museum.
22. Go camping in your backyard.
23. Make your own pizza on the grill.
24. Window shop at the mall, no money spent and you can people shop.
25. Take a dance class together. This might be your chance to learn the newest dance moves or that country dance you’ve always wanted to.
26. Go fishing.
27. Go apple, berry, or even pumpkin picking at a nearby farm.
28. Play card games.
29. Roller skate at your local park or in your neighborhood.
30. Play video games.
31. Have an indoor picnic in your living room.
32. Watch the stars together.
33. Have a fondue night.
34. Volunteer together.
35. Grab some bread and feed the ducks at the pond.
36. Visit the library.
37. Have a lazy day.
38. Plant a garden together.
39. Watch the sunset from your backyard or the hood of your car.
40. Go out for dessert or coffee.
41. Play a round or two of mini-golf.
42. Visit a bookstore and read books to each other.
43. Go out for a scoop of ice cream at your local ice cream parlor.
44. Try lunch at a restaurant you’ve never dined at before, from their lunch specials menu.
45. Take advantage of the buy one get one free dinner deals at a restaurant.
46. Enjoy a backyard picnic.
47. Visit the pool hall and enjoy a friendly game or two of billiards.
48. Enjoy any “free day” offered by your local zoo, aquarium, or museum.
49. Visit the beach and collect seashells.
50. Planning on renovating your home? Visit your local home-improvement store and brainstorm ideas by looking at their displays.
As you see from the activities above, date nights don’t necessarily have to be expensive, and there are many free options. Don’t let your budget constraints determine whether you should have date nights with your partner. No matter how much money you’re spending, or none at all, it’s the time spent together that truly matters. Plan a few dates and watch those sparks fly once again between your significant other and you.