“Oh the weather outside is frightful
But the fire is so delightful
And since we’ve no place to go
Let It Snow! Let It Snow! Let It Snow!”
The ground outside is covered with snow and it doesn’t seem as if there is going to be an end to the snow. While we’re ready for the winter it does makes it difficult for the kids to be outdoors. So what do you do when you’re stuck indoors? Well how about a fun and easy craft. If you are looking for a simple hands on activity for your kids to enjoy, give this snowman potato stamp a try. Using just a potato and a few other basic crafting supplies, you can whip up the perfect little snowman. Take a look below at how to get started crafting your own. This is a winter craft you won’t want to miss out on!
White craft paint
Black construction paper or black floor mat
Orange craft foam or orange craft paper
Black magic marker
We found everything we needed (with the exception of the potato) at our local dollar store. You can even find black floor mats perfect for this project.
1. Begin by slicing your potato in half. Dab the open end of the potato on a towel or napkin to remove any dampness. This way, your paint will adhere better.
2. Press the open end of the potato into the white craft paint. Press the potato directly onto your black paper or floor mat. Press firmly so the paint has a chance to adhere evenly.
3. Allow the paint plenty of time to dry.
4. Use your magic marker to create a coal mouth, eyes, and buttons on the snowman.
5. Finally, snip a small triangle out of the orange craft foam/paper. Add a dab of glue and press it to the face of the snowman.
Your snowman potato stamp is now complete. You can use various sized potatoes to get various sized snowmen. Potatoes don’t have to be perfect. In fact for our sample snowman, we used potatoes that were soft and no longer edible. It is a great way to use them instead of just tossing them out.
Gather your supplies and give this potato stamp snowman a try!