How Do I Change My Name on My Passport?

Learn how to change the name on your U.S. passport with our guide covering necessary documents, forms, fees, and shipping addresses.

US Passport

Changing the name on your passport can often feel like navigating a maze. Whether you’ve recently gotten married, divorced, or decided on a new name that feels more like “you,” the process involves a few specific steps. But don’t worry. This post will break down the essentials, guiding you through each phase. Let’s make a start.

How Do I Change My Name on My Passport

Prepare the Right Documents

When changing the name on your U.S. passport, gathering the right documents is key. Below is a breakdown of what you’ll need.

Government application form

Depending on your situation, you should use one of two forms. The DS-82 form is for renewals, including name changes on passports issued MORE than a year ago. In contrast, the DS-5504 form is for corrections, name changes, or amendments on passports issued LESS than a year ago. You can fill these out with the Form Filler or by hand.

Passport photos

You’ll need to submit one passport photo that meets the official requirements. Below are some of the most important ones your image must adhere to:

  • Shot with a full-face view, directly facing the camera. No hats or head coverings are allowed unless for religious purposes.
  • Captured within the past six months to accurately represent your current appearance.
  • Feature a neutral facial expression with both eyes open and without glasses.
  • Taken against a plain white or off-white background.
  • Printed on matte or glossy photo quality.
  • No shadows in the background.
  • Is not too dark or too bright.
  • Be 2×2 inches in size.

You can get your photo taken at brick-and-mortar places like CVS, Walmart, or Walgreens. But you can also take a compliant photo from home using a passport photo app.

Proof of name change

Your proof must be a legal document from the court. The document can be one of the following:

  • Marriage certificate/license
  • Divorce decree
  • Court order

Remember that only original or certified copies are acceptable. Upon review, your documents will be returned with your new/updated passport.

Current passport

You’ll need to submit your existing passport. If the travel document was issued within the last year, an amendment will be made to show the name change. On the other hand, a renewal will be required if your passport is older than a year. In this case, you’ll receive a new document with your new name, valid for 10 years.

Government fees

The cost of a passport name change varies. If your passport was issued within the last year, the name change is free with standard processing (6–8 weeks as of this writing). If you choose expedited service (2–3 weeks), it’ll cost you an extra $60.

For passports older than a year, standard renewal fees apply:

What Are You Renewing?Application Fee
Passport book$130
Passport card$30
Passport book and card$160

Send Off Your Documents

After gathering and completing your documents, it’s time to ship them to the passport agency. There are three different addresses for shipping, depending on your location and the type of service you’re using.

For routine service, if you live in C.A., FL, IL, MN, NY, or TX, send your documents to:

National Passport Processing Center

P.O. Box 640155

Irving, TX 75064-0155

For routine service in any other state or Canada, use:

National Passport Processing Center

P.O. Box 90155

Philadelphia, PA 19190-0155

For expedited service (with an additional fee) from any state or Canada, ship to:

National Passport Processing Center

P.O. Box 90955

Philadelphia, PA 19190-0955

Stacking It All Up

Changing your name on a U.S. passport is a major step that marks a new chapter in your life. This guide has been crafted to navigate you through the process smoothly, ensuring you feel supported at every step. Here’s to new beginnings and the many journeys ahead!

error: I have disabled right-click on this page. Sorry!