There’s nothing worse than having a sick baby on your hands. There is also nothing worse than having a sick baby and wanting to take a temperature with an invasive thermometer. If your children are like me it can be tough. I hate having anything stuck in my ear. Even worse is having something stuck in your bum. I’m not old enough to keep a thermometer in my mouth so that is totally out of the question.
It’s flu season and also the kids are back in school. My brother has already been stuck at home for being sick. With a child in school, it’s almost a guarantee that they’ll bring something home and share it with the rest of the family. Luckily for me, mommy was sent the new updated Exergen Smart Glow TemporalScanner thermometer, great for parents who are caring for a sick child.
There are a few things that mommy always keeps on hand. There has to be a thermometer, children’s Tylenol or Motrin, and Vicks VaporRub. My brother Mikael is the kid who if there’s a virus going around, he’s going to get it. No sooner said than done!
Mommy was able to test out the new and upgraded Exergen Smart Glow TemporalScanner thermometer when he was home sick from school with a temperature. One of the features that we just love about temporal artery thermometers is the fact that there are no probe covers required. There is also a protective cap to keep the sensor protected and clean. It comes with a 9-volt battery and is super easy to use.
This updated version of the original TemporalScanner™ comes with four ways to make it even easier to take a temperature:
- A softly illuminated display for easy reading in any light – perfect for checking the temperature of a sleeping infant in a darkened room.
- Beeping sound indicating scanning can be turned off or on to avoid waking a sleeping child.
- Automatically retains the last eight temperature readings for instant recall to check on fever progression.
- Ability to switch between Fahrenheit and Celsius modes
The Exergen Smart Glow TemporalScanner is an infrared thermometer that captures temperature by scanning the heat which is emitted from the forehead, via the temporal artery. Temporal artery thermometry is among the most accurate and convenient methods to take a sick child’s temperature.
Now I did tell you that it was easy to use.
Here are the steps:
- Remove the protective cap
- Hold the thermometer so that the thumb or index finger is positioned over the SCAN button (DO NOT depress until step four).
- Place the probe flush (flat) on the center of the forehead.
- Press and hold the SCAN button.
- Lightly slide thermometer either left or right from the center of forehead to the hairline, keeping the sensor flat and in contact with the skin for the entire scan (2-3 seconds). You will hear a beeping and a red light will flash during the scan. This is normal, indicating that a measurement is taking place.
- Release the SCAN button and remove the thermometer from the head once you reach the hairline.
- Read the temperature on display.
As you can see my brother Mikael had a temperature and thanks to the Exergen Smart Glow TemporalScanner, mommy was able to get that temperature without making him feel even more miserable. The thermometer shuts off automatically after 30 seconds preserving battery life. It also keeps track of your last 8 temperature readings making it perfect for when having to relate it to your medical provider.
This is the perfect gift for new moms and even experienced moms alike. It’s why it gets my TWO TINY THUMBS UP!
The Exergen Smart Glow TemporalScanner is sold at major retailers including Wal-Mart, Target, Walgreens, Rite Aid, Costco, Babies “R” Us, Toys “R” Us, Kroger, and BJ’s at a suggested retail price of $49.99.
Here are the ways to connect with Exergen: