Starting your own travel blog can be tricky in 2022. After all, who reads blogs these days anyway? Well, you can still have a successful travel blog even if it isn’t entirely located on social media, as many travel bloggers currently are. Hence, here’s how to start a successful travel blog from the ground up in 2022.
1. Get Ready Beforehand
First and foremost, you will need to get ready before you actually start doing anything serious. Here are the things you should do beforehand:
- Do Your Research: First, do your research to understand what your audience wants, what kind of blogs already exist, and how you can find your own niche. In other words, you need to understand the current situation on the market through research.
- Choose Your Focus: Second, choose your focus or angle for the travel blog. Look at any travel blog, and you will notice that it has certain characteristics that make it stand out. For example, it can be the type of travel the blogger practices (e.g. budget travel) or it can be a specific type of traveler that it caters to (e.g. couples). On the other hand, you could focus on a specific region (e.g. South America) or activity (e.g. trying food) or you could combine multiple characteristics.
- Learn SEO Basics: Third, learn SEO basics. Everything from keyword research to linking is crucial for you to be able to create high-quality content that will make your travel blog rank well. It can seem simple, but it is only simple if you understand all the nuances.
2. Choose Your Blog Name
Once you have done some essential preparations, you will need to choose the name for your travel blog. This is a particularly important step because your travel blog name could easily determine the success of your travel blog in the long run. Here are some tips on how to choose it:
- Stand Out: Your travel blog name needs to stand out from the crowd. Maybe it’s your own name or maybe it’s something unusual, but it needs to catch a person’s attention while also being usable in the long term.
- Be Simple: Your travel blog name needs to be easy to remember which means it’s better to avoid using words that are too long or rarely used by most people. Likewise, it’s worth considering any cultural differences that could make it harder for certain segments of your audience to remember your travel blog name.
- Joke Around: You don’t necessarily need to be too serious with your travel blog name, especially if you plan to joke around a lot and make it a part of your image. Puns, quotes, inside jokes – all of them can be used for your travel blog name.
- Send A Message: On the other hand, you might want to make your name meaningful and send a message with it.
- Use Keywords: It’s a good idea to use keywords that would indicate to your audience (and to search engines) that your blog is dedicated to travel.
- Check Availability: Before you make your final choice, check the availability of a particular URL, but also check if there are social media accounts with that name.
3. Set Up Domain And Hosting
The next step is to choose your domain and hosting for your travel blog. The best thing you can do is not to stress about it too much and go with one of the popular options currently available on the market (e.g. WordPress).
Just make sure that you get the option to view detailed analytics of the performance of your travel blog. Analyzing your performance metrics will help you plan your future strategy and achieve success with your travel blog by reaching a wider audience, generating more traffic, and so on.
4. Create Content Guidelines
After you have set up your travel blog, you will need to think about how you will be posting your content to it (as well as to other platforms). This is why you need content guidelines that you can use to ensure consistency across all the content you publish on your travel blog. Here are some things to think about:
- Types of Content: Will you only publish blog posts and articles with photos? Or maybe you also want to publish videos? Think about the content types you want to work with and how you want to customize them (i.e. post word length, video duration, photo dimensions).
- Content Quality: Another aspect to think about is the quality you want to maintain for your content (e.g. a minimum number of photos you want to use in your blog posts). If you are not sure that you will be able to maintain content quality consistently, you can always hire a professional writer from the writing service review site, Best Writers Online. They will help you create your content and maintain high quality consistently.
- Formatting: Next, think about how you will format different types of content you will be posting on your travel blog. You can either create templates beforehand, or you can just write out the formatting guidelines to use in the future. In addition to that, think about the editing aspect of your visuals.
- Personal Voice: What kind of personal voice do you want to use? This is pretty much how you will be branding yourself (e.g., quirky and fun). You will need to maintain this voice throughout all the content you publish on your travel blog and on other platforms.
5. Launch Ad Campaigns
Of course, one of the most effective ways to market your travel blog is by launching PPC ad campaigns with the help of Google Ads. There’s a lot to be said about how to launch such campaigns and it can’t be covered in one article, but it’s definitely something you should look into it, especially during the initial stages of promoting your travel blog.
6. Use Email And Social Media
Using email and social media marketing is essential for promoting your travel blog. You need to grow your mailing list and regularly send out emails to subscribers. Likewise, set up your social media profiles and publish content there as well. In both cases, you can promote your travel blog and invite people to visit it.
If you don’t know how to write emails or social media posts, you can always hire a professional writer from the custom writing review site, Writing Judge to create such content for you instead. This way, you can focus more on your travel blog.
7. Collaborate With Others
It can be tempting to be a lone wolf and stick to yourself, but it’s much better to collaborate with other travel bloggers. Reach out to travel blog influencers and see how they can market your travel blog while you promote them. Similarly, don’t be opposed to guest blogging either.
8. Evaluate Performance
Last but not least, don’t forget to evaluate the performance of your travel blog and regularly update your strategy for it. Only by analyzing your travel blog metrics will you be able to improve your activities and achieve new goals you set for yourself. Keep in mind that some metrics might be more important than others, but you should still pay attention to most.
All in all, it’s definitely possible to start and maintain a successful travel blog in 2022 if you are ready to make the right moves. You will need to combine a variety of techniques to promote your travel blog, but it will ultimately be worth it in the long run. What do you think? Leave a comment!