I have always been a fan of the Smurfs, and grew up watching the cartoon every Saturday morning. I'm sure that most of you have and can hum along to the theme song. Every Saturday I would watch as the evil Gargamel and his cat Azrael try and catch these lovable blue creatures, and would cheer as they got away and foiled his plans. I loved Papa Smurf, Brainy Smurf, Grouchy Smurf and all the others, but boy oh boy, Smurfette was my absolute favorite. After all, she was the only girl among a sea of blue and the leading lady. So how does one become a leading lady like Smurfette? We share 9 tips on how you can be your own leading lady, just like Smurfette.
1. Ask questions. If you don’t know the answer to something, or don’t understand, just ask! Your question is probably on someone else’s mind, too, but they might be afraid of looking stupid. No one has all the answers. Don’t worry about what others will think. Strong leading ladies only grow stronger by learning all they can.
2. Speak up. As long as you think before you speak, what you have to say is just as important and valuable as what everyone else has to say. And, if you know something is wrong, you should definitely stand up for what’s right. Leading ladies go to bat for others.
3. Be confident. Everyone has strengths and weaknesses. Focus on what you’re good at, because you are special for it! We all have an important role to play in the game of life, so have faith in yourself. Leading ladies know that a girl’s best accessory is confidence!
4. Dare to be different. You weren’t made to be a cookie cutter of everyone else. Don’t be afraid to make unique choices. Whether you are doing the right thing when everyone else is doing something wrong, or you’re wearing something others might think is uncool, dance to the beat of your own music! Leading ladies stand out from the crowd.
5. Mentor others. Always help others if you have the ability to do so. If you’re good at something and someone else wants to learn, teach them what you know. Sometimes younger girls need a “big sister” type of friend to talk to and maybe that can be you! Leading ladies lend a helping hand.
6. Set an example. When you do the right thing, when you stand up for yourself and others, when you stand out from the crowd, and when you mentor others, you’ll empower other girls to rise up and do the same. Success and happiness are contagious! Actions speak louder than words: People are more likely to learn from what you do, not what you say. Leading ladies lead by example.
7. Shine by doing what you love. Make time to do what your heart desires! Do it even if it’s not cool or popular. Don’t try to be something you’re not. You have been given your gifts and talents for reasons you may not understand just yet.
8. Make a difference. Do what you can to make the world a better place. If you have an idea that can make someone’s life easier or help the planet, turn that thought into a reality! Talk to adults to learn what steps you need to take to do this. Leading ladies help their friends, their communities, and their world.
9. Think big. The sky is the limit! Daydream! Don’t let anyone tell you your ideas are impossible. Think of all of the women in history who were the first to succeed in their fields. People told them their dreams were crazy, too. Leading ladies are innovative.
And to top it all off, don't forget the gear!
GapKids originally designed limited-edition Smurfs collection captures the beloved Smurfs’ unique personalities and adventurous spirit with colorful printed and graphic kid’s clothing. The collection includes fun and colorful graphic ringer tees that sport the entire adorable Smurf cast. Girls are also treated to knit dresses, leggings, tops, and denim jacket featuring rainbow embroidery inspired by the Smurfette leading ladies. Price Points for the GapKids collections range from $19.95 for graphic tees and leggings, to $54.95 for the Denim Jacket and is currently available on www.gap.com and in select Gap stores. Be sure to catch the Smurfs’ third animated movie release, Smurfs: The Lost Village in theaters April 7th.
Are you excited to see Smurfs: The Lost Village and what do you think of the new Limited Edition Smurfs Collection by GapKids?
Stay connected with GAP: