This winter has been one of the mildest we have had in Colorado in the five years that I have been living here. Sure, we have had a few snow days but nothing major. Nowhere enough for us to build anything besides snow angels. With Madison in love with snow, I was hoping that we would have had a lot more so that we could go outside and build a snowman, like Olaf, from her favorite movie, Frozen. You might remember the song that Anna sings to Elsa, "Do you want to build a snowman?" when she's all alone.
Do you want to build a snowman?Since I promised Madison that we would build our own Olaf this winter I couldn't quite possibly go back on my promise. So what do you do when you have no snow? Or maybe you live in a place where you don't have snow in winter, here is an easy way to bring your own snowmen to life. No snow needed, but you do need dixie cups.
Come on lets go and play
I never see you anymore
Come out the door
It's like you've gone away...
We used to be best buddies
And now we're not
I wish you would tell me why!
Do you want to build a snowman?
It doesn't have to be a snowman
Dixie paper cups
White spray paint (or use white styrofoam cups)
Metallic red and green pipe cleaners
Red, green, and orange felt
Black puffy paint
1. Lay out an old newspaper outside or in a well ventilated area and spray paint your cups white and let dry, they might need a second coat. If you prefer, you can also use plain white styrofoam cups to bypass this step altogether.
2. Cut out several (1 for each cup) 8"x 3/4" strips from your red and green felt, cut the ends into fringe and hot glue one around the bottom of each cup crisscrossing for a scarf.
3. Now cut out several (2 for each cup) nickel sized circles and hot glue a matching set on each side of the top of the cups for ear-muffs.
4. Connect the ear-muffs by glueing a 3" piece of the matching pipe cleaner to each ear-muff.
5. Then cut a small triangle from your orange felt and hot glue it above the scarf for the carrot nose.
6. Now use your black puffy paint to draw on eyes and a mouth and let dry
You now have your very own snowmen made from dixie cups and you didn't even need snow. Your hands are still warm and toasty and your snowman will never melt. You can check out our other snowmen projects.