This post is done in collaboration with Babies'R'Us
Plus, on Saturday, August 17 from 11am - 12pm, all Babies“R”Us stores nationwide will host a Baby’s First Birthday event to celebrate this special milestone and offer the best solutions parents need for the big celebration. Attendees will also experience fun activities such as story time, photo prop fun, decorate your own Geoffrey growth chart and receive giveaways such as a complimentary Geoffrey plush, a special baby’s first crown and balloon, plus meet other local families and babies also celebrating Baby’s First Birthday. You can find more information about Baby's First Birthday in-store birthday events and more events happening at your local Babies'R'Us by checking out their events calendar online.
Here's are 5 First Birthday Tips
1. Place – While most kids' first birthday parties are thrown to impress parents, at age 1, your child may prefer the comfort of home and may be wary or even afraid of strangers. Have your party at home where he/she feels comfortable and have a few friends/family over. Remember this is all about your child, not you. If there are pets in the family, you can also keep them away from those kids who may be allergic or afraid of animals.
2. Time – Preferably after a nap when your child is well rested. If you throw a party right before nap time, you may end up with a cranky toddler on your hands, and a not so happy party. Try to co-ordinate with other parents who have children the same age so that you all can have a fun time together.
3. Foods – At that age kids aren't into pizza and hot dogs and some may not even have all their teeth in as yet. A good variety of finger foods will be perfect. Also take into consideration allergies, so keep it simple, and don't forget your birthday cake. Cupcakes are perfect, so that each child can smash to their hearts content.
4. Games – Peekaboo might still be your toddlers' favorite game, but it really all depends on the weather. In the summer you can blow bubbles, sing songs and even read books aloud. If the weather isn't that great, you can play treasure hunt inside where you hide little treasures for the little ones to find. Stay away from the loud noise which can scare some children and balloons which can be choking hazards.
5. Gifts – At age 1 your child may have their favorite characters that they love, but they also like anything that lights up, plays music and is interactive. Be sure to offer a variety and make sure that it is age appropriate.
All in all remember to have fun. Your child's first birthday and all birthdays' to come only happens once a year, so be sure to enjoy it. Before you know it, your little one will be a teenager and heading off to college, so cherish all the memories with him/her now while you can.
Let's discuss: How did you celebrate your baby's first birthday?